I Want my Hat Back! - Utilizing literature in the Elementary Classroom


The use of children's books in the music classroom has long been one of my favorite ways to step into a musical concept. The use of picture books such as this one promotes broadening of students imagine and understanding of how music fits into their world. Over the course of three lessons, the book "I want my Hat Back" by Jon Klassen is used to teach lower elementary students how to hear, play, and notate So, La, & Mi on a musical staff. 

Book Title:

I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen

Grade Level:

Musical Concept:

1st Grade

So, La, & Mi

State Benchmark:

I can statements:

3.1.2.2.1 Generate musical ideas using a limited set of rhythms or pitches.

3.1.2.3.1 Choose musical ideas to share using a limited set of rhythms or pitches.

I can sing melodies using So, Mi, & La.

I can identify and decode melodies using So, Mi, & La.

I can create and play patterns on the staff using So, Mi, & La.

Lesson Segment # 1 (15-20 minutes)

Materials: 

I Want My Hat Back Book (buy the book here OR ask your school librarian if they have it)

Smartboard; Seesaw lesson (copy and edit activity to use on the board during class)

Visual Clips:

Lesson Procedures:

  •  Read the book as is.

  •  Ss learn two musical phrases in the key of F

    • “Have you seen my hat?” (S L SS M)

    • “Okay, thank you anyway!” (SS LL SS M)

    • *Ss show melody with their bodies; S- Shoulders, M- Knees, L- Head*

  • Read book a second time, but with Ss singing and dramatizing (adding *gasps*, running in place, etc.)

  • T sings phrases with actions, and asks “Have we heard these notes before?”

    • Ss identify S, M, & L

    • T works with Ss to place S, M, & L on the correct spots using two lines (seesaw activity linked above)

      • Verbal goals: “So goes in the middle space,” “Mi goes in the space below,” and “La goes on the top line.”

Lesson Segment # 2 (15-20 minutes)

Materials: 

I Want My Hat Back Book

Smartboard; Seesaw lesson

Pocket sleeves; Paper insert with two lines for solfege

Solfege “hat” baggies (at least 4 of each family)

    -printed, laminated, & cut


Visual Clips:


  • Review what happens in the book “I Want My Hat Back.”

    • Ss recall the melody of the two phrases

      • “Have you seen my hat?” (S L SS M)

      • “Okay, thank you anyway!” (SS LL SS M)

    • Sing through book if time allows

  • Ss receive a pocket with two lines, and a handful of solfege “hats”

  • T puts up first phrase on the seesaw lesson

    • “Have you seen my hat?” (S L SS M)

  • Ss match their pocket sleeves to the board.

    • All sing solfege pattern together

  • T puts up first phrase on the seesaw lesson

    • “Okay, thank you anyway!” (SS LL SS M)

  • Ss match their pocket sleeves to the board.

    • All sing solfege pattern together

  • Ss create their own pattern (T checks that solfege is in the right place)

Lesson Segment # 3 (15-20 minutes)

Materials: 

I Want My Hat Back Book

Smartboard; Seesaw lesson

Pocket sleeves; Paper insert with Bell maps

Individual bell sets (S- C, M- A, & L- D)

Visual Clips:


  • Review what happens in the book “I Want My Hat Back.”

    • Ss recall the melody of the two phrases

      • “Have you seen my hat?” (S L SS M)

      • “Okay, thank you anyway!” (SS LL SS M)

  • Ss receive pocket sleeves with bell maps; Ss receive bells and match the correct bell to the map.

    • So- C, Mi- A, & La- D

  • Ss echo play several patterns using S, M, & L (taking turns with  partner)

  • T reads through book while Ss play two phrases on the bell sets

    • Add: Gong or cymbals for the gasp, tambourine for running, 



DOWNLOAD So, La, & Mi, hats and two lines to copy and print

DOWNLOAD Lesson in PDF Format

LESSON WRITTEN BY Regan Hjelle - Elementary Music K-5 - Laura MacArthur Elementary - ISD709

Comments